Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Another Mario Masterpiece

I sat down last night to relax with my new Architectural Digest magazine, which I bought simply because Mario Buatta's name is on the cover.  I featured him here some time ago and love his style.  You may remember him as the "Prince of Chintz".

This is the first home I have seen decorated by him that has so little chintz.....an occasional chair here and there.  However, his inimitable style is there, as always, and while I realize this home is opulent, regal, beyond the reach of the average person, I still feel it is worth seeing, not only to see how others live, but to eke out some of Mario's style ideas.

I love his sense of symmetry and balance......that in itself is very calming.  His furniture layouts are designed for comfort with easy conversation areas and eye candy at eye level whether you are seated or standing (note the low hanging art on the walls).

The 19' ceiling in the living room (former ballroom) allows for lots of room for wall decor, but Mario has still managed to present a warm and cozy environment.  The living room walls are now covered with Chinese silk fabric, while the master bedroom has a Chinese fabric that was installed by a former resident over 25 years ago.  And it is still classic and soothing.

As a side note, the apartment is owned by an old friend of Mario's by the name of Aileen Mehle, also known as Suzy Knickerbocker, the society columnist of the 1950s, 60s and 70s.  Looking at her photograph completely distracted me as she looks far too young to have been around that long......so I googled her and believe it or not, she was born in 1921!!  Go figure!

Hope you enjoy Mario's finely honed details!  (Don't forget to click on images for larger detail.)

Aileen Mehle (also known as Suzy Knickerbocker, the society columnist)
She is 90 years old (and this is a current picture of her as
evidenced by the draperies in the background!)
Unreal!!!

Living room

Living room

Living room

Dining room

Tented dining room - I like the ambience!

Chinese fabric on walls and a fabric covered ceiling
Porthault linens

All photos via Architectural Digest


No comments:

Post a Comment